This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series > Yu-Gi-Oh: Abridged Series Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPishek View Post
I'm not going to lie, I'm actually really excited about this. So... if you like spoilers....

Sneak Peek
:D
:D That's AWESOME!!! XD lol, I like his boxers! Probably stole those from Pegasys!

Quote:
Anyway, my biggest beef is how fanfiction writers characterize Yami Bakura. Usually, he ends up being just the snarky sarcastic guy who doesn't usually get along with everyone. Where is my evil, psychotic, murderous, thief I love? Anyone else feel that way?
Personally, I kind of like him better as the snarky sarcastic guy. But I do agree that it does make one very confused when writers do that... @_@0 I try to write the characters as they are (what little I have written), but it just never seems to come out that way! ^-^0 Oh, well! Besides, I like my version of Odion better! :-P

[RANT] In the series, Odion is just this big, bulkey, brutish (not really) person who doesn't talk much and does whatever Marik tells him (like a good little doggie! XD). However, you never really get to explore the emotional depths behind everything (only for a short while, if at all). My version only goes along with whatever Marik orders him to do so that he can keep an eye on his brother without him getting all suspicious and defensive (which could possibly lead to mind-control, and nobody wants that!).[/RANT]

Last edited by SirRobin; 02-23-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-23-2009

Send a message via ICQ to Phate Send a message via Yahoo to Phate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
Personally, I kind of like him better as the snarky sarcastic guy. But I do agree that it does make one very confused when writers do that... @_@0 I try to write the characters as they are (what little I have written), but it just never seems to come out that way! ^-^0 Oh, well! Besides, I like my version of Odion better! :-P
I can stand Bakura as the snarky sarcastic guy if there's a reason given for it. A good one. Heck, I'd rather Bakura's character growth be shown rather than told, but I can understand why. The majority of the Yu-Gi-Oh! fanfiction is romance, so there is little time to focus on the build up of something like that. I dislike that, and thus I won't be doing it in my own fanfiction. (And, to top it off, it's going to have Darkshipping in it! Ha!)
Old 02-23-2009
The Foreskin Queen Deserving of a rest

Blurb: <3<3<3 Rebbie
Send a message via MSN to TPishek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phate View Post
XD That's awesome!

Howdy, everyone! I've been a Yami Bakura and Ryou fan for ages. I'm also of the belief that Ryou... er... is not 'just British', if you know what I mean. ;) I'm not a Tendershipper, but, well, yeah. XD (Euroshipper and Darkshipper, so....)

Anyway, my biggest beef is how fanfiction writers characterize Yami Bakura. Usually, he ends up being just the snarky sarcastic guy who doesn't usually get along with everyone. Where is my evil, psychotic, murderous, thief I love? Anyone else feel that way?
Quote:
:D That's AWESOME!!! XD lol, I like his boxers! Probably stole those from Pegasys!

[RANT] In the series, Odion is just this big, bulkey, brutish (not really) person who doesn't talk much and does whatever Marik tells him (like a good little doggie! XD). However, you never really get to explore the emotional depths behind everything (only for a short while, if at all). My version only goes along with whatever Marik orders him to do so that he can keep an eye on his brother without him getting all suspicious and defensive (which could possibly lead to mind-control, and nobody wants that!).[/RANT]
Arg, Euroshipping... Not one of my favorites. (Better than puppyshipping tho.)
Still, to each her own. :)

Also, Millennium swim trunks FTW! The idea just suddenly occured to me; I actually made a new GIMP paintbrush for it too xD.

And Bakura in fan fics--- yes, I totally agree. There are far too many where YB just hangs out with the rest of the gang and is, like you said, the mildly antagonistic sarcastic guy. Which adds dry humor and all, but it's out of character for him to be there in the first place. YB does not "hang out" with his eternal enemy. :/

And SirRobin, the reason Odion has no characterization is, simply put, 4Kids. They cut out a good bit of his history (well, it was rather violent) and edited the rest almost beyond recognition. Did you know he actually intended to murder Marik at one point during their childhood? As in, walked over to his bed with a knife and was about to kill him? O_O

Yeah, 4Kids sorta changed that scene a bit....
Old 02-24-2009

Oh, yeah! I forgot about that part!
Old 02-28-2009

Send a message via ICQ to Phate Send a message via Yahoo to Phate

Quote:
Arg, Euroshipping... Not one of my favorites. (Better than puppyshipping tho.)
Still, to each her own. :)
I love my crackships. What can I say? XD What's your favorite flavor of Limey-Man ship (or Kaiba, since I gather it's the Ryou-portion that bothers you)?

Quote:
And Bakura in fan fics--- yes, I totally agree. There are far too many where YB just hangs out with the rest of the gang and is, like you said, the mildly antagonistic sarcastic guy. Which adds dry humor and all, but it's out of character for him to be there in the first place. YB does not "hang out" with his eternal enemy. :/
Like most things, if handled well it can be done. However, most of the time it's not- just a great big time-skip with a "LOL, HE'S GOOD NOW" stapled to his forehead.

Quote:
And SirRobin, the reason Odion has no characterization is, simply put, 4Kids. They cut out a good bit of his history (well, it was rather violent) and edited the rest almost beyond recognition. Did you know he actually intended to murder Marik at one point during their childhood? As in, walked over to his bed with a knife and was about to kill him? O_O

Yeah, 4Kids sorta changed that scene a bit....
... I had no idea. O.o Wow, that's... several different kinds of awesome. XD Not the siblicide itself, but the fact that it was there.
Old 03-01-2009

Blurb: Putting the 'romance' in 'necromancy'
Send a message via MSN to LordMaddie

Quote:
with a "LOL, HE'S GOOD NOW" stapled to his forehead.
OMG I just have to draw that! Who wants me to draw that!?
Old 03-01-2009

Quote:
I love my crackships. What can I say? XD What's your favorite flavor of Limey-Man ship (or Kaiba, since I gather it's the Ryou-portion that bothers you)?
Ha ha, well, for the most part I'm fairly neutral. The only one I can completely whole-heartedly support is mizushipping (SetoxKisara), since that's so canon. The only one I really hate is puppyshipping. I can deal with silentshipping, although I don't think it would really work. And... well, other Kaibaships... meh. I'm pretty laid back and so not likely to go balistic over something, but really I don't think he'd be in ANY relationship, as sad as that is. I mean, his soulmate (Kisara) sort of got taken out of the cycle of reincarnation, so... :/

And as far as Bakura goes, he's never really struck me as the type for romantic relationships either. YB's just so obsessed with getting his revenge that everything else is pushed aside, and we don't really know much at all about Ryou because he gets so little screentime, so it's sort of difficult to match him with anyone.... Wait. Didn't I already say something like this about two months ago?
Quote:
My turn.
I believe the major thought that is being approached here is this:
-Kazuki Takahashi is the only person who knows for sure what Ryou's sexual orientation is, and obviously he didn't think it was important enough to the plot of Yu-Gi-Oh to make a point of establishing it. It's like when JK Rowling revealed that Dumbledore was homosexual-- she'd known all along, of course, but that orientation had no effect on the plotline of her books and so was never brought up in the story. This is similar. Ryou is almost always in the background in Yu-Gi-Oh. Someone mentioned not having seen Season 4-- well, as far as I know Bakura doesn't show up in Season 4 once. Ever. And even when Bakura is there, physically present, nine times out of ten his yami's in control. Ryou honestly doesn't really have a chance to express any orientation, and Takahashi didn't try to remedy that because it would have had minimal to no effect on the plot anyway.

As far as Yami Bakura goes, once again there's the issue of plot coming first. YB is so incredibly driven that anything not directly related to his scheming or the carrying out of his strategies is abandoned, and that obviously includes romance of any sort. Protecting his host, Ryou, from the attack is necessary for his plots, and that's how he would rationalize the action. Even if there is "something more" there he would never admit it.
And concerning "under the right conditions": Well, that's what fan-fic is for. The "right conditions" were never reached in canon Yu-Gi-Oh. If someone wants to create the "right conditions" in their own imaginations and writing, and then see where that goes, that's their right. Will it sponsor debate like this? Of course, because it isn't canon, and there is no proof for it in canon. On the other hand, there is equally little proof against it. That goes for all of the pairings brought up here so far, and probably rather a few others.
OK, so that thread was about whether Bakura was gay or not, which isn't exactly what I'm going at here. But still.

Quote:
... I had no idea. O.o Wow, that's... several different kinds of awesome. XD Not the siblicide itself, but the fact that it was there.
4Kids took out so many awesomely epic scenes. :'( I'll be watching the Japanese and be like, OK, I know what happens here, and then suddenly I'll be like Oh, hey, no I don't, because someone just pulled out a huge-ass sword O_o. It really makes me sad to realize that invisible guns are only the beginning of 4kids' evil....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMaddie View Post
OMG I just have to draw that! Who wants me to draw that!?
DO EET!!! :D :D :D
Old 03-07-2009

This thread.... Must LIVE!
Old 03-07-2009

O_O0 OMG, YOU'RE DOING THE SALLY_CLONE THING, TOO!!!! THE WORLD IS COMMING TO AN END!!!!!!!

Anywhoosen, how can we make this thread...not-dead? O_o Think of a plan...think of a plan...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzMD9...eature=related Kaiba Gets Weird Message From Bakura…OMG
...does this count as a plan?

Last edited by SirRobin; 03-07-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-07-2009

Quote:
O_O0 OMG, YOU'RE DOING THE SALLY_CLONE THING, TOO!!!! THE WORLD IS COMMING TO AN END!!!!!!!
DON'T DENY THE AWESOMENESS
(also note my edit ;) :D)

Quote:
Anywhoosen, how can we make this thread...not-dead? O_o Think of a plan...think of a plan...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzMD9...eature=related Kaiba Gets Weird Message From Bakura?OMG
...does this count as a plan?
I love that video.
Old 03-07-2009

Close enough!

I love it, too.
Old 03-07-2009

Send a message via AIM to PBnSpots

J'adore Bakura! Yami et Ryou! Hehe. Idk which 1 i like bestest though. Hmm...probably Yami Bakura. But is it just me or does Yami Bakura suddenly get magical eyelinar every time he appears...?
Old 03-14-2009

The magical eyeliner is awesome. DON'T DENY IT!
Old 03-14-2009

lol, Magical Eyeliner is indeed magical! ^-^ Garunteed to turn you into a fangirl magnet every time!!! XD I think Marik steals it from him, sometimes! ...or maybe it's the other way around!!! :-P

lol, I can be your villan, baaaby!!! I laughed so hard at that! XD
Old 03-14-2009

"Can I steal your soul tonight?"

YES MARIK, YES YOU MAY!

But the best line's: "Am I insane? Have I crossed the line? Well, that's a good question, let me ask your friends, OH WAIT I MURDERED THEM!"

And yeah, I bet, every time Ryou changes into Bakura, there's some hidden transformation sequence of Bakura putting on his womanly eyeliner.

Because nothing says evil quite like womanly eyeliner.
Old 03-14-2009

woot! A bakura thread! Womanly eyeliner is evil.
Old 03-14-2009

There is also a Bakura group and a Bakura church. Go look at the social groups.
Old 03-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMaddie View Post
There is also a Bakura group and a Bakura church. Go look at the social groups.
lol, seriously??? O_O0 Wow! I had only heard of Sally's Army! [ She's comming back in a month or so, so everyone's copying her avatar, adjusting it slightly, and using it as their own. Can't wait to see her face when she gets back!!! :D ]

Second-best line: Am I insane? Have I crossed the line? Diddn't you just ask me that? Your friends are still dead, by the way.

Also: Now would you die for the one you hate? It's a rhetorical question. Now die.

And the end: I can be your nemesiiiiiiiiiissss!!!!![ That's Correct!!! XD ]

All in all, a very hilarious piece! Still like Bandit Keith's one, too! Can't wait to see how the abridged characters react to Yami Marik [ especially since they've already figured out that normal-Marik is just Harry Potter with an obsession for the color purple!!! :-P ]

Yes. Nothing says evil quite like womany eye liner!

(Just BTW, it's "May I devour your soul tonight?" Is the answer still yes??? XD)

Last edited by SirRobin; 03-14-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-15-2009

Blargh. :)

Old 03-15-2009

BEST. PIC. EVAR!
Old 03-15-2009

Ha ha, I'm not sure I would go that far. XD

I'm pretty happy with it, but it's definitely got its issues. ^_^; Glad you like it though!
Old 03-16-2009

HUZZAH!!! Finally, we managed to track him down ON VACATION!!!!! :D *bugle* *Bakura looks up: O_o0* FANGIRLS, ATTACK!!!!! *Bakura is suddenly run over by a herd of wild fangirls*

^_^0...opps!
Old 03-16-2009

I think... We squished him...
Old 03-16-2009

Old 03-16-2009

I'm not British, I'm just gay...

If only I were gay... or at least bi and a serious pedophile.. Then I could fall in love with that picture in a semi-legal, yet still looked down on by the church sort of way.
Old 03-17-2009

My church wouldn't look down on that sort of thing....

In fact, why don't you join my church?
Old 03-18-2009

My god, the fangirlnesssssssss is too much

How much is it?

(awaiting over 9000 joke)
Old 03-18-2009

It's over 9,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ Does that still work? XD ]
Old 03-18-2009

Quote:
It's over 9,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ Does that still work? XD ]
What Over 9,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000?
Old 03-19-2009

It's so funny how noone knows what comes after that! XD