This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series > Yu-Gi-Oh: Abridged Series Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2010

Crap... please tell me I stumbled into a fan girl topic... I just posted here 2-3 times to talk about how cool this guy is in Japanese.
Old 12-31-2010

Blurb: Wow. I've been away for way too long.

Oh, sorry, our conversations normally overlap on some peoples attempts to get into the thread. And yes, he is badass in the Japanese.
Old 12-31-2010
Maka

EVERYONE LOVES FLUFFY MARIK.

YOUR NICKNAME IS BEING STOLEN BAKURA.
Old 01-01-2011

Blurb: If you two fuckers are done fucking around, we've got a job to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaoiMeowmaster View Post
EVERYONE LOVES FLUFFY MARIK.

YOUR NICKNAME IS BEING STOLEN BAKURA.
Zoned out a bit while staring at your comment. Then; That's right, Marik called bakura fluffy.

Also; Can't help but be amused by deviantart people pairing themselves with YGO characters.
Old 01-01-2011

Blurb: ERMEHGEHRD, TERM HIRDERSTERN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarikBakura View Post
I LIEK TURTLES BETTER ANYWAYZ.
o.o ...OKAY THEN. *GIVES A TURTLE* BECAUSE I FUGGIN LOVE YEW. JUST LIKE MARIKU. *ontopicplz*
Old 01-01-2011

Don't worry, already has a pet turtle.

Sooooo, anyone knew why they gave the english dub YGO characters shitty voices? Especially Marik?
Old 01-02-2011

Cause Americans are tone def and don't know shit about good voice actors.
Old 01-02-2011

Quote:
Zoned out a bit while staring at your comment. Then; That's right, Marik called bakura fluffy.

Also; Can't help but be amused by deviantart people pairing themselves with YGO characters.

OHGAWD. Mary-sues on deviantart. After I posted one of my Marik farts (haha...it's short for fanart...ha...*explodes*) someone was asking me to draw yami marik dancing with one of her characters (meaning herself) at their wedding on top of Kaiba's blimp. -__- needless to say I won't be drawing that but it was an interesting experience. And sadly, deviantart has a lot of them...

And about the voice differences, when I hear the English and Japanese back to back, I can detect a slight similarity. In my opinion, I really like Johnathan Todd Ross as marik, his voice is interesting to listen to, even if it's not realistic, but what makes me laugh is the dialogue itself. I blame the writers....

Last edited by Shadowmyst Wolfsong; 01-02-2011 at 02:57 AM.
Old 01-02-2011

Blurb: Still too lazy to do anything
Send a message via MSN to Anreyla

Quote:

Sooooo, anyone knew why they gave the english dub YGO characters shitty voices? Especially Marik?
Because 4Kids is a fucking terrible company, and if they gave him a voice actually similar to the Japanese, when he transitioned into Yami no Malik, he'd be too scaaaary for the kids or some shit like that. Doesn't exactly explain why Atem sounds like a 40 year old, Anzu sounds like a dyke, etc.

Quote:
OHGAWD. Mary-sues on deviantart. After I posted one of my Marik farts (haha...it's short for fanart...ha...*explodes*) someone was asking me to draw yami marik dancing with one of her characters (meaning herself) at their wedding on top of Kaiba's blimp. -__- needless to say I won't be drawing that but it was an interesting experience. And sadly, deviantart has a lot of them...
Ewww. Retarded fangirls are retarded. I would've bitched so hard at that girl, you have no idea. :| Unless by dancing she means Yami no Malik raping her 'character' and stabbing her with the Millennium Rod.

Quote:
And about the voice differences, when I hear the English and Japanese back to back, I can detect a slight similarity. In my opinion, I really like Johnathan Todd Ross as marik, his voice is interesting to listen to, even if it's not realistic, but what makes me laugh is the dialogue itself. I blame the writers....
I really can't when I listen to Johnathon Todd Ross back to back with Tetsuya Iwanaga. Ross sounds almost nasally and just plain stupid at times, not to say it's the worst job he's done, after all, what they did to his voice when he dubbed Yami no Malik was easily the worst in the entire Goddamn series. With Iwanaga, you can actually notice the similarity in the voices of Malik and Yami no Malik, Malik's voice is actually pretty deep, mostly when he's doing his internal monologue (he pitches it up a bit when talking to the Yuugitachi), and Yami no Malik's is somewhat deeper, and incredibly more disturbing. And that's how it should be. Not... whatever they did to his dub voice. /shudder

(Now if only YouTube hadn't gone insane and taken down basically everything of the original Yuugiou DM, I could've showed a comparison)
Old 01-03-2011

Blurb: Who's the sexiest Yu-Gi-Oh character, you ask? Hah. Forget Yami Bakura, I rather have Honda~!
Send a message via MSN to .TheMalik.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anreyla View Post
I really can't when I listen to Johnathon Todd Ross back to back with Tetsuya Iwanaga. Ross sounds almost nasally and just plain stupid at times, not to say it's the worst job he's done, after all, what they did to his voice when he dubbed Yami no Malik was easily the worst in the entire Goddamn series. With Iwanaga, you can actually notice the similarity in the voices of Malik and Yami no Malik, Malik's voice is actually pretty deep, mostly when he's doing his internal monologue (he pitches it up a bit when talking to the Yuugitachi), and Yami no Malik's is somewhat deeper, and incredibly more disturbing. And that's how it should be. Not... whatever they did to his dub voice. /shudder

(Now if only YouTube hadn't gone insane and taken down basically everything of the original Yuugiou DM, I could've showed a comparison)
^!!!!

Malik verses 4kids Marik.

Malik's japanese voice has it's moments where it's grating, but Johnathon remains grating throughout. :l It's... It's just really bad. I DON'T KNOW, I JUST WANTED TO SAY THAT. 8X

I'm really unhappy about youtube taking down the videos. :/ All of my singapore clips were removed, and so was my swedish dub one. D:

And now I'll never get past episode 5 of GX (subbed)

feelsbadman.jpg
Old 01-03-2011

Blurb: Who's the sexiest Yu-Gi-Oh character, you ask? Hah. Forget Yami Bakura, I rather have Honda~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseleaf View Post
don't hate the playa, hate the game.

Or Malik. If he'd just suck it up and let Mariku take over the world, Rishid wouldn't have done anything. And then their could have been summonshipping...
YMalik didn't have any goals other than cause pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonBird Ra View Post
It's a shame that 4KIDS made Yami Marik into a cliche "Want to Take Over the World" Villain. I like the fact that the original dub one didn't really have any real schemes or plans, and just wanted to kill and anything. If there were any main parts of his plans, it would be kill off Odion and Yugi, then go around and become a mass murderer with dark powers on his side.
^^This.

---- AND ----

Quote:

I see it as when they CHANGED THE ENTIRE PLOT (because maybe Malik's reasoning (He's a good/'bad' guy doing what he thinks is right for his family/clan which is good, but bad for Yugi and his friends. &&WTF he's running a gang, killing/kidnapping people, ... and playing card games! FFFFFUUUUUU-) is too complex for the kiddies. Which was why this show was aimed at older audiences...) they had to have a voice that fit. With Malik's Japanese VA, it went with the dialogue and the character. With 4kid's 'Marik', it went with the new dialogue and, sadly, the 'new' character. A ridiculous over-the-top villain deserves a voice that's also ridiculous and over-the-top.

But that's just my POV.

Last edited by .TheMalik.; 01-03-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by .TheMalik. View Post
^!!!!

Malik verses 4kids Marik.

Malik's japanese voice has it's moments where it's grating, but Johnathon remains grating throughout. :l It's... It's just really bad. I DON'T KNOW, I JUST WANTED TO SAY THAT. 8X
feelsbadman.jpg
There's parts where his voice is softer. When he almost instantaneously switches sides, and he does his internal monologues (especially the part when he's at Rishid's bedside) his voice isn't as harsh because he's not...being villianish, I suppose. And after he gets his body back and is talking to the group, he's not eating sandpaper but he is still kinda nasaly. Ross has done some narration for audio books and Ive listened to a bit of it, and I noticed he has a voice that naturally has a nasal tone. But I still understand why you guys don't like him.
Old 01-03-2011

Blurb: Join the dark side, we have Yami Bakura

I think his dub voice could have been a LOT better, but for who the audience it was aimed towards, it was acceptable. Singapore dub was better 4 cotent and actors, SO I watch that.

4Kids is ass, but hey, you gotta love eric stuart (voice o kaiba) i think his voice is sexy^^

speaking of kaiba, does anyone else wonder why no one ever refers to his dark side (gay clown) as Yami-kaiba?

gay clown and yami-marik are the only REAL yami's i the show. atem and bakura are ancient egyptian spirits. a yami HAS to be the dark side of one single person. not some other soul.

so out of the 4 shown, only 2 are real yami's and yami kaiba doesn't even get credited as a YAMI!

Well let me lay this out nice and easy, people! There are 4 yami's in this show!

IN ORDER OF APPEARENCE:

62x283.jpg>>>>62x147.jpg
FAKE YAMI

26x14.jpg >>10x78.jpg
REAL YAMI

82x13.jpg>>>>97x34.jpg
FAKE YAMI

89x01.jpg>>>>97x69.jpg
REAL YAMI

Last edited by Xilex90; 01-03-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-03-2011

Blurb: Ugh

Uhh no. The clown wasn't part of Kaiba at all. He was a hired guy and was mimicking Kaiba to freak Atem out. In the manga it is some creepy doll but still not part of Kaiba's soul.

Also, Yami simply means dark. Not dark side. The title is used to differentiate between Yami No Bakura and Ryou, and Yami no Yuugi and Yuugi since they are darker counterparts (or were...Atem).

Now if you were thinking of doppelgangers, you'd be right with Yami no Malik since a doppelganger (at least in lit) is a darker being that manifests from repressed emotions. The clown is still nothing.
Old 01-03-2011

Blurb: Still too lazy to do anything
Send a message via MSN to Anreyla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmyst Wolfsong View Post
There's parts where his voice is softer. When he almost instantaneously switches sides, and he does his internal monologues (especially the part when he's at Rishid's bedside) his voice isn't as harsh because he's not...being villianish, I suppose. And after he gets his body back and is talking to the group, he's not eating sandpaper but he is still kinda nasaly. Ross has done some narration for audio books and Ive listened to a bit of it, and I noticed he has a voice that naturally has a nasal tone. But I still understand why you guys don't like him.
I probably dislike his voice because I hate seeing a great character in a great anime based on an amazing manga ruined by a terrible company like 4Kids. Like .TheMalik. said, they changed the age demographic when they dubbed it (honestly, do they even watch an anime before they dub it? Same thing happened with One Piece, only there it was worse), and yes, they think kids are stupid little brats (and American kids sort of are, so) who can't understand complex characters and plotlines. Though aside from that complaint, his voice just sounds so damn stupid to me, and I'm not going to say "oh well it's a crappy company that did it, so it's okay" it's not okay.

Quote:
4Kids is ass, but hey, you gotta love eric stuart (voice o kaiba) i think his voice is sexy^^
Oh dear God I think out of any 'main' character throughout the show, that's the one I hate the most is Kaiba's dub.. Followed closely by Dan Green. He made Atem sound like a 30 year old and made Yuugi sound.. meh.
Old 01-03-2011

Blurb: ERMEHGEHRD, TERM HIRDERSTERN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKfan97 View Post
Cause Americans are tone def and don't know shit about good voice actors.
watch it, dude. I don't mind Americans called being assholes, but I am NOT tonedeaf.

Last edited by Roseleaf; 01-03-2011 at 03:22 PM. Reason: yomama
Old 01-03-2011

Quote:
watch it, dude. I don't mind Americans called being assholes, but I am NOT tonedeaf.
I didn't know that you chose the voices in the dub!
Old 01-03-2011

Er... I don't think the dub voice actors are bad. I think they weren't quite meant for the real Yugioh, however for a "children's" version of Yugioh the voices seem fitting. They do indeed change depending on the demographic.

With Dan Green, he spent six years at Juliard studying dubbing alone. I have to give him respect for that- I can see how he isn't quite right for Atem compared to the japanese VA, however I do like his voice. It has this certain quality for it- and he has a GOD-like range. Seriously.
Old 01-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmyst Wolfsong View Post
His voice doesn't change all that much in the original. Well, it's more 'friendly' when under the guise of Namu, but when he 'switches sides', the Japanese Malik still had the same deep voice he always had.
I don't know. I just hate the fakeness that 'nice' Marik's voice has in the dub. It's almost borderline whiney.
Malik's voice is strong throughout. He just comes across as determined and serious.
Oh, and Yami Malik's voice... <3
Old 01-03-2011

Quote:
Hey, I'm American too, and I am not tonedeaf either. But come on, we were young and stupid at one point where we thought the show was so amazing. Then we used our brains and realized just what we were missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Tweetums View Post
Er... I don't think the dub voice actors are bad. I think they weren't quite meant for the real Yugioh, however for a "children's" version of Yugioh the voices seem fitting. They do indeed change depending on the demographic.

With Dan Green, he spent six years at Juliard studying dubbing alone. I have to give him respect for that- I can see how he isn't quite right for Atem compared to the japanese VA, however I do like his voice. It has this certain quality for it- and he has a GOD-like range. Seriously.
Thank you. I give him props for trying and I thought it was cool for a while, but I was really dumb and young when it came out. I used to like it, but I definitely believe that he really wasn't the right person to do voice Yuugi, but I doubt anyone else would have been better.
Old 01-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar_beets View Post
Uhh no. The clown wasn't part of Kaiba at all. He was a hired guy and was mimicking Kaiba to freak Atem out. In the manga it is some creepy doll but still not part of Kaiba's soul.

Also, Yami simply means dark. Not dark side. The title is used to differentiate between Yami No Bakura and Ryou, and Yami no Yuugi and Yuugi since they are darker counterparts (or were...Atem).

Now if you were thinking of doppelgangers, you'd be right with Yami no Malik since a doppelganger (at least in lit) is a darker being that manifests from repressed emotions. The clown is still nothing.
That. It would be nice if people actually knew about the aspects of the show so that they don't post stupid things. :U
Old 01-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketcat View Post
That. It would be nice if people actually knew about the aspects of the show so that they don't post stupid things. :U
Glad to see you around, Basketcat. You seem to be a little quiet lately and I got worried. You are never really quiet, but when there just happens to be a sad little fan that miss says something, you are always here to agree with whomever corrected that said fan. Either that or you do it yourself.
Old 01-04-2011

Blurb: I'm as much of a Marik fangirl as Marik is gay! So there! -wait...

So that there Marik/Mailk/Yalik/Maric/Whatever.

Sexy isn't he?
Old 01-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketcat View Post
It would be but it doesn't happen. I have given up all hope on this damn fandom.
Old 01-04-2011
TOOMAH

Blurb: Every Villain Is Lemons

Quote:
It would be but it doesn't happen. I have given up all hope on this damn fandom.
That's why I never put hope in fandoms period. It's easier that way.
Old 01-04-2011

Kaiba's. . .Yami? ....sorry but...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHA..haa aa. Sorry.
Old 01-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordZorc View Post
That's why I never put hope in fandoms period. It's easier that way.
Ya, I should know that. I was around in the glory days of the Yuugiou fandom so I kind of miss it and am disappointed with it now. (Although it did have its share of stupid people back then too)
Old 01-05-2011

Quote:
Ya, I should know that. I was around in the glory days of the Yuugiou fandom so I kind of miss it and am disappointed with it now. (Although it did have its share of stupid people back then too)
Exactly, you know back when it was a little pure and there wasn't that many fanfics based on it. Ah, good times, good times.
Old 01-05-2011

I love the spelling 'Maric'.
I don't know why, though.
Old 01-06-2011

Blurb: "Subete ga Barian sekai no tame ni"

Marik. I prefer Yami Marik. He's hotter than regular. He's one of my favourite Yu-Gi-Oh! character. I love his japanese voice and things he does with his tongue.