This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series > Yu-Gi-Oh: Abridged Series Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2011

Blurb: Rain, rain go away, thats what all my haters say.
Default Fanfiction

Come here to chat about fanfiction (because we seriously needed a thread). Have any peeves about fics or just want to brag about yours, you can talk about it here!
Old 11-25-2011

Blurb: I'll translate shit for you.

OH OH I HAVE A FIC-RELATED QUESTION

I keep seeing people (mostly the regulars in the Shipping thread) mention their own fanfiction, and I would love to see what sort of things people are writing. But where do I find it? That is the question.

So who wants to link me to some fic? : D
Old 11-25-2011
Closet Trekkie

Blurb: I am Lorde, Ya Ya Ya
Send a message via MSN to GcarOatmealRaisinCookies

http://www.fanfiction.net/ lots of fanfics there
Old 11-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcar90 View Post
http://www.fanfiction.net/ lots of fanfics there
Holy crap, there's a fanfiction.net?

Welp, there goes all my free time!
Old 11-25-2011

Blurb: Friendship is MAGIC.

There is indeed a fanfiction.net.

May God have mercy on your soul.
Old 11-25-2011

Blurb: Vince/Stuart = OTP!

I was so bored once that I wrote a detailed list of all the things I despise in YGO fanfiction. It had about twenty things on there!

Off the top of my head, all I can remember are 8th Millennium Items, randomly inserted Japanese, unoriginal OCs and the big one...

People calling Marik "Malik" and Thief King "Akefia". Where do they come up with this stuff?!

But other than that, there is some fantastic YGO fanfiction out there. I particularly love LK's.
Old 11-25-2011

@mabaliciousness: I'll PM you for mine. FP's is all in German, so you'll have to contact her about that.

@everyone: I'm saying this before someone else gets the chance: if you all haven't read LittleKuriboh's fanfiction, you really ought to. "Marik & Bakura Go To Censored Town" is pretty popular, and with good reason. It's in the abridged universe, but he can switch between abridged crack humor and genuine insights into the canon characters in a way that is just mind-blowing. He really has absolute control over what he writes. And "Tides," one of my favorite one-shots ever, isn't crack at all - it's just really, really good.

LK's ff.net profile: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/134036/Little_Kuriboh

Other recs?
Old 11-25-2011

Blurb: It's Operation: Forum Flood!

I loved this birthday oneshot written for Mokuba:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7155202/1/Kyou_Dake

That's all, really, because I would give you the only Hungarian fan fiction I did like (well, I found it funny), but most of you probably don't know Hungarian, and Google Translate would convulse if you Hungarian through it. XD
Old 11-25-2011

I'm tempted to suggest my own recently written YGO fic, but I don't want to scar anyone for life...

If you look hard enough, there are some really amazing pieces of work out there. I think there's a Duke/Marik one called Desert Beauty- or something to do with the desert. It's not the most popular pairing, but it's one of my all-time favourite fanfics.

It's more difficult to find anything good featuring Ryou, though. I hate how most authors these days just have Ryou as the weak little crybaby of the gang. There was this one Tendershipping fic I read where the two of them go golfing. The fic was brilliant- until it was ruined for me when Ryou started crying.

Why can't people realize Ryou is tougher than he looks?!

Sorry. Ranting. I'll be quiet now.
Old 11-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emelinee View Post
I was so bored once that I wrote a detailed list of all the things I despise in YGO fanfiction. It had about twenty things on there!

Off the top of my head, all I can remember are 8th Millennium Items, randomly inserted Japanese, unoriginal OCs and the big one...

People calling Marik "Malik" and Thief King "Akefia". Where do they come up with this stuff?!

But other than that, there is some fantastic YGO fanfiction out there. I particularly love LK's.
Randomly-inserted Japanese drives me crazy. There are times when Japanese terms are acceptable, but generally the people who toss in Japanese words clearly have no clue what they're doing. People think that no one's going to notice, or that they can get away with common words that everyone knows, but dear god, "arigatou" is not the only way to say thank you in Japanese, and if you're using it wrong, I can guarantee that some of us know.

Nnnngh my rage, let me show you it.

I have absolutely no problem with people using Marik and Malik interchangeably, though. I barely even notice the spelling, since I read r and l as the same letter in names that come from anime.
Old 11-25-2011

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2141364/1/

Found the Desert Beauty one. I know I complained about random Japanese but the story is too brilliant for me to be annoyed!

Now I'll shut up.
Old 11-25-2011

I have absolutely no problem with people using Marik and Malik interchangeably, though. I barely even notice the spelling, since I read r and l as the same letter in names that come from anime.

I guess I'm just a bit more easily annoyed by small things. To be honest, it's the Akefia one that really bugs me.
Old 11-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emelinee View Post
I guess I'm just a bit more easily annoyed by small things. To be honest, it's the Akefia one that really bugs me.
I've actually found it kind of fascinating how vehemently some people argue for one or the other name in cases like Marik/Malik. I can understand having a preference for which way the name is romanized, but I'm always a little awed when people just RAEG over people not using the one they like best.

As for Akefia... eh. I don't really care that people use it, but that's more because I'm not all that invested in the character. There are instances in my other fandoms, though, when people using fanon names totally bugs me, so I definitely understand people getting frustrated with that one.
Old 11-25-2011

I think its funny that the fanbase gave Yami a last name. Yami Sennen. Isn't it brilliant? Although, you usually only see that in fics where Yami is separate from Yugi and/or has a different character role.
Old 11-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese View Post
I think its funny that the fanbase gave Yami a last name. Yami Sennen. Isn't it brilliant? Although, you usually only see that in fics where Yami is separate from Yugi and/or has a different character role.
...I LOL'd. XD Oh God.
Old 11-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese View Post
Yami Sennen.
*snerk* That's original.
Old 11-25-2011

Blurb: One does not silly walk into Mordor!

I use the jap. names, because the setting is Japan. It would be a bit strange for me as an European to put the original jap. characters into the USA.
So Marik is Malik. BUT there's no Mariku...

@curbstomp
Thanks for informing everybody ;)

And all of my fics are Seto-centred so far, except for one oneshot, which's about Ryou and his "first" meeting with the spirit of the ring.

Yami SENNEN?
Not sure if trolling

or just stupid?
Old 11-25-2011

I used the dub names, because I'm more familiar with the anime than the manga, and to me, the anime characters, along with their names, acquired a different personality than the manga characters, and so, I try and respect this devide by using the names and personalities I grew fond of and feel most comfortable writing for. Also my setting is all weird and jumbled, but that is because I don't know squat. <3 I'm not proud of that, but it is so. damn. true. >.>
Old 11-25-2011

In the German dub aren't any accents, so I'm not used to Joey's Brooklyn Rage accent. Perhaps that's one of the reasons why I feel more comfortable with the Japanese names, setting etc. [ Deep down it's because I think that I show some respect to our old ally ;) ]
Old 11-25-2011

I guess for me I just don't see the logic in saying that Malik is the "Japanese name" while Marik isn't, because in Japanese, they are the same name. Or you could argue that neither of them is correct if you're going for the Japanese name, since technically it's not the l or the r sound, but the sound/character "ri," which we don't have in English.

But that's only how I feel about names where the argument is based on an arbitrary choice of romanization. If we're talking like, Joey vs. Jounochi, then clearly those two names are actually different.
Old 11-25-2011

"Nii-sama" is the only Japanese I use with any regularity in my fics. I've used "aibou" once, which may or may not have been ill-advised, and I used "sensei" once, but only because it made a joke a bit funnier.

I do use dub names, though, because I'm a dumb American.
Old 11-25-2011

The name Malik use to annoy the heck outta me because I couldn't figure out if they were talking about Marik or Yami Marik. Then I learned Malik and Marik are one in the same. Still pretty annoying though.

And I prefer the English names becuase thats what I'm used to. And I think I'm the only one (among other people) who doesn't insert random Japanese or Egyptian into my story. Seriously, "Aibou" is overrated! :/ I hate when people use Aibou over and over again! Yugi has a freaking NAME!

Last edited by Reese; 11-25-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyPillow View Post
In the German dub aren't any accents, so I'm not used to Joey's Brooklyn Rage accent. Perhaps that's one of the reasons why I feel more comfortable with the Japanese names, setting etc. [ Deep down it's because I think that I show some respect to our old ally ;) ]
Tee hee. ;)

Actually, the Hungarian dub took Joey's wonderful Brooklyn accent, too. He sounds pretty mundane. Then again, if they attempted to spruce up the dub with Hungarian dialect accents... oh God. I would have LOL'd so hard.
Old 11-25-2011

There's no logic behind it. I just started to get used to the "jap." names. But stuff like Akefia, Mariku, Heba, Jono etc. will never get into my brain.

Not every American is dumb ;)

Nii-sama is the only Japanese I use.
Old 11-25-2011

Seconding the use of Nii-sama. And its counterpart. >.>
Old 11-25-2011

The source for this exquisite excerpt is tumblr.
"I’ve dealt with a lot of shit in my life, but this time, shit has hit the fan. My brother, Seto Kaiba has just announced that his wife Miya is pregnant with twins. I should be happy about this, but I’m not. I know for a fact that Miya is a gold digging, trailer trash whore. I know this because she admitted it to me before the wedding a couple of years ago."

To answer with Seto...
Old 11-25-2011

Well I definitely wasn't trying to imply that anyone is dumb, it's honestly just something that's always fascinated me. I feel the same way about the argument for Aerith vs. Aeris, to give an example. I get confused why people consider one name more Japanese than the other, in cases like these, that's all.

Although I will say that even though in my mind Marik = Malik = Mariku and they all say the same thing... I do find Mariku slightly less aesthetically pleasing in the roman alphabet, so I'd probably prefer one of the other two.
Old 11-25-2011

Quote:
The source for this exquisite excerpt is tumblr.
"I’ve dealt with a lot of shit in my life, but this time, shit has hit the fan. My brother, Seto Kaiba has just announced that his wife Miya is pregnant with twins. I should be happy about this, but I’m not. I know for a fact that Miya is a gold digging, trailer trash whore. I know this because she admitted it to me before the wedding a couple of years ago."

To answer with Seto...
OH GOD. MY SIDES. THEY ARE SPLITTING. XDDD
Old 11-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbstomp View Post
That may be true, but this American sure is.
Are you referring to yourself?

@Einzelgänger
It's getting worse, I skimmed the text. Mind-blowing. Here's the link, enjoy: http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/seto-ka...ore=1319174921

Last edited by FluffyPillow; 11-25-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-25-2011

Quote:
Are you referring to yourself?
Yes. Were there other Americans to be referring to? If so, I'm really sorry.