This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series > Yu-Gi-Oh: Abridged Series Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2011

you're not pointing at my reply idiot you changed the page look what you did.
Old 08-02-2011

Blurb: Still too lazy to do anything
Send a message via MSN to Anreyla

What a shame. :P
Old 08-02-2011

Blurb: I will crossdress for tequila.

I hate mostly everything *kicks everything off her desk*
Old 08-03-2011

Blurb: One does not silly walk into Mordor!

I would agree that he has got other things in mind and perhaps is sexual repressed.

But... (I've got a scene in my mind, which could be responsible for his virginity)
Marik on the phone: "K, I pick you up at 8 pm."

Later somewhere called...here

Marik drives up with his motorcycle

Girl: "Shiii...Mom, tell him I'm not here!"

Nope. Not even Boston can make marik look cool on a motorcycle!

Ok now, back to some serious business...
Old 08-03-2011

Blurb: "Subete ga Barian sekai no tame ni"

But Marik looks cool on a motorycle.
Old 08-03-2011

Not cool enough! Perhaps he should ride a Kawasaki or something like that and not a Harley Davidson. Nothing against a Davidson, but a Kawasaki is way cooler.
Old 08-03-2011

Blurb: Hi I'm the rules, why don't you screw me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketcat View Post
Yeah, because Malik is totally just a rebellious teenager, its not like he was held underground against his will, had his body mutilated, and his father killed all in the name of a dead pharaoh. It's not like he wanted vengeance above all things else. Its not like he's a fucking insane sociopath who will go to any length to get it.

Nope he's just a fucking moron teenager who wants some ass, and that's the sole reason why he rebelled against his clan.

god learn to characterize.
Completely valid points. You're right Marik was abused, mutilated and was seeking vengeance for his life of unnecessary pain and suffering. That still doesn't dismiss the fact that he's still just a kid.

Marik acted out his frustrations in a manner that a majority of children who are raised by abuse do. He sought control of not only HIS own life, but the lives of OTHERS (hence the evil army of Rare Hunters at his disposal). He acted out against his family and years of tradition by fighting AGAINST the Pharaoh, the one man he had been taught from infancy was whom he was supposed to respect and serve without question.

To me, Mariks childhood parallels those whom are brought up with a strict religious upbringing, forced to obey blindly parents whom use the teachings of their Lord and Savior to justify abuse that is verbal, mental and physical.

And what is the first thing these kids do when they have a chance to escape? Alright, they're probably not hopping into bed with a perfect stranger on day one but they ARE engaging in acts of debauchery to make up for lost time.

And I don't know about you, but the majority of fanfiction (which is what we're all ranting about here, right?) that I read involving Marik DOES portray him as "a fucking moron teenager who wants some ass".

If you have good fiction to send my way that portrays Marik accurately I would be much obliged.
Old 08-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyPillow View Post
Not cool enough! Perhaps he should ride a Kawasaki or something like that and not a Harley Davidson. Nothing against a Davidson, but a Kawasaki is way cooler.
Ew. A Kawasaki says "Hey there! I have a small penis! Let me impress you with how quickly and obnoxiously I can swerve back and forth with my stupidly coloured two wheeled vehicle!"

Now Malik, Malik needs one of these babies.

Old 08-03-2011

Blurb: Still too lazy to do anything
Send a message via MSN to Anreyla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom View Post
-Lots of text!-
Well the first thing I'd have to argue against would be the 'still just a kid' comment. Maybe when he first left Egypt, when he was 10 or 11, but even if you don't consider 16 to be at least bordering on 'adult', Malik seems quite beyond what a normal teenager is, mentally, but that's a minor issue in the grand scheme of things.

There's a difference between the escape from a strict religious upbringing that you mentioned as an example and what Malik did. Was Malik's childhood strict? Yes. Did it have religious overtones? Yep. Was he glad to be able to leave? Of course. But even if he did say 'balls to it!' for a lot of the traditions and values he was raised with, he was still going for revenge, not just for himself, but for his family as a whole. He felt the Pharaoh had wronged them all horribly, killing his father, and subjecting them all to a hellish life of servitude, and he intended to break it, not just for his own sake, but for the sake of all the Tombkeepers.

There's also the issue of sex being looked down upon. In a highly religious home in our modern day, I feel safe saying that's definitely the case. But I very seriously doubt that was the case with Malik. When his father died, he would be the leader of the clan, he was probably told at a young age that he would have to have an heir to continue the legacy of the Tombkeepers. He probably wasn't told all about sex, but I wouldn't be surprised if the mechanics of it at least were mentioned to him. The problem of the religious home telling their kid that sex is evil and they can't have it out of wedlock or they're going to burn in hell or whatever is that the kid is very likely still going to have a sex drive (unless they're so fucked that that is repressed), and they're still going to want to have sex. So if they do rebel against their teachings, that's one way to go, because that was something they were denied, even though they probably wanted it. I doubt that would be the case for Malik, regardless of whether he is sexually repressed (and I think he very well could be), since sex probably wasn't looked down upon in his family as they would be in a modern religious home.

Also, I think Malik looks bitchin' on his motorcycle. Though in the manga they like to have ass-shots of him while he's on it to show the Sennen Rod.

Last edited by Anreyla; 08-03-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-03-2011

Quote:
Completely valid points. You're right Marik was abused, mutilated and was seeking vengeance for his life of unnecessary pain and suffering. That still doesn't dismiss the fact that he's still just a kid.

Marik acted out his frustrations in a manner that a majority of children who are raised by abuse do. He sought control of not only HIS own life, but the lives of OTHERS (hence the evil army of Rare Hunters at his disposal). He acted out against his family and years of tradition by fighting AGAINST the Pharaoh, the one man he had been taught from infancy was whom he was supposed to respect and serve without question.

To me, Mariks childhood parallels those whom are brought up with a strict religious upbringing, forced to obey blindly parents whom use the teachings of their Lord and Savior to justify abuse that is verbal, mental and physical.

And what is the first thing these kids do when they have a chance to escape? Alright, they're probably not hopping into bed with a perfect stranger on day one but they ARE engaging in acts of debauchery to make up for lost time.

And I don't know about you, but the majority of fanfiction (which is what we're all ranting about here, right?) that I read involving Marik DOES portray him as "a fucking moron teenager who wants some ass".

If you have good fiction to send my way that portrays Marik accurately I would be much obliged.
Malik is too focused on his goals to let himself be distracted by petty things like sexual promiscuity. Going to bed with random strangers doesn't advance his revenge in any way, nor do I think it would give him the satisfaction or control he was looking for. He's much more mentally mature than that (though some of his personality traits are childish, but that has a psychology behind it and I wont go into it) and he would know its just a waste of time, and wouldn't be shallow enough to find it empowering. He'd think it petty, while his other acts of rebellion (like the whole escaping from underground and plotting to kill the pharaoh) are more serious and "noble".

Also, you're completely overlooking the effects of long term abuse. Someone who has been abused for all of their life would have serious trust issues, and perhaps even issues with touch itself. Allowing your body to be so open, exposed, and weak in their minds would be a very bad thing, and something that would be avoided.
Old 08-03-2011

Again all valid points. I don't want to argue Basket, let's just agree to disagree and talk about Mariks motorcycle. It's more entertaining and less likely to cause a ruckus.
Old 08-03-2011

I don't want to arguee about Marik's motorcycle either. Let him ride whatever he wants to ride (oh, that's suggestive...)

Ok, I hate Puppyshipping... but that's getting old. If I think about it, I dismiss every shipping with Seto... he's not shippable, except with his ego. Nope, not even with his ego. He acts very narcissistic, but I think he hates himself for what he became. Poor isolated man.
The worst romance/drama fanfictions are the ones with stupid OC's.
Old 08-03-2011

poopy-doop, double post.

Last edited by PegasusJCrawford; 08-03-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-03-2011

I like classic european motorcycles. They are nice. I would like to ride on one...with Marik. He'd be on my back though, or in a silly sidecar, like he had to do with Odion that one time.

Quote:
Again all valid points. I don't want to argue Basket, let's just agree to disagree and talk about Mariks motorcycle. It's more entertaining and less likely to cause a ruckus.
Quote:
I don't want to arguee about Marik's motorcycle either. Let him ride whatever he wants to ride (oh, that's suggestive...)
^^^
This is exactly the opposite of what Atom said.
Theres a reason why reading is tested in schools.
Old 08-04-2011

Blurb: Aliquis faber suae fortunae est.

Too fast.
Old 08-04-2011

Someone spelt Bakura "Bacura". It upsets me to the point of ranting.
Old 08-04-2011

Isn't that a gambling game ?
Old 08-04-2011

@PegasusJCrawford
Jep, you're right. 'Either' was the wrong word on the wrong place. I'm sorry, but English isn't my mother tongue. Next time I try on Latin, or worse: French (I forgot everything I learned in school).

I could rant about the weather...
Old 08-05-2011

French is such a nice language :D
Old 08-05-2011

Blurb: "Subete ga Barian sekai no tame ni"

Sorry but I don't speak french.
Old 08-05-2011

Ok, I've got something to rant, but it has nothing to do with yugioh.
What drives me nuts is the point that some(asshole)body hid basic literature somewhere in the academic library, so that noone can work with it! Ahhhrg!!! How am I supposed to wirte my seminar paper?!

Back to the greatest show in universe and how so many people try to ruin it...
Old 08-06-2011

Blurb: Oh Kaiba, ya dragon is so big! I'm a dog! Woof woof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardmon View Post
HK SUBS! I watched them! They were so bad but at least episodes were in japanese. Can those subs still can be found somewhere besides random clips on Youtube?
I'm almost done watching, finishing KC. I got used to making fun of the crappy subs, but I still want to find something better. Perhaps in Portuguese. And regarding your question, I found the whole thing on a torrent.

Another rant. Amelda sucks. Just that.
Old 08-07-2011

Quote:
Ok, I've got something to rant, but it has nothing to do with yugioh.
What drives me nuts is the point that some(asshole)body hid basic literature somewhere in the academic library, so that noone can work with it! Ahhhrg!!! How am I supposed to wirte my seminar paper?!

Back to the greatest show in universe and how so many people try to ruin it...
Are you talking about.. YGOTAS ?
Old 08-07-2011

@LittleGirl
Is there something to rant about? ^^

Amelda is just weird, I mean is 'it' female or male?
But I like the flashback with Seto and Amelda's brother, so sweet, playing chess in the middle of a war. Perhaps Seto was used to it, his hole life was like war.
Old 08-08-2011

I watched season 1, 2 and then the last season and skipped everything in-between. All the episodes are on hulu should I even bother catching up on what I missed?
Old 08-08-2011

Not really.
Mhm, but even season 3 and 4 have some good moments...
I tried to watch YGO without a cardgames (because most of them aren't relevant) and failed.
I think it's sad, that the subplot around Seth and Kisara is so... short.
Old 08-09-2011

the focus is on the cardgames, obviously
Old 08-09-2011

true ture, you just said it!

But I have to say that some duels are interesting...
Old 08-10-2011

like ?
Old 08-10-2011

First you have to take the japanese version.

I like the duel between Seto and Yami on Pegasus' Tower.
The one with Noa in the virtual world, because of the sad ending (the stone one)
And of course the last episode of the duel between Dark Malik and Jou.
"He's not breathing!" emotional scene.
And I don't know why, but I kinda like the whole duel between Yami and Seto at Alcatraz.

Sometimes even cardgames can't ruin the day...