This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series > Yu-Gi-Oh: Abridged Series Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Proged View Post
how about in Episode 2 when Yami says "You can see into my mind?" in the exact same way that Solid Snake says it in Egoraptor's Metal Gear Awesome.
Another reference to Metal Gear Awesome is in Episode 35 when Tristan tells Joey that Serenity is "still hot A**hole"
Solid Snake says a similar thing in Metal Gear Awesome in reference to the Colonel's daughter Meril
also in one episode before Tea says 'Back off bit*h,he's mine' to Mai,when exclamation mark appears above her you can hear our lovely MGS alarm sound
Old 04-26-2009

Hey yall. Another episode here.

Beginning- referance to EA sports
two cards- chowder and perry the platipus
men: obvious a spoof to the Nazis
5:50: Zac and Cody from the suite life series. Both twins. One likes girls, while the other likes to study.
5:55: Sexyback

Last edited by DANMAN; 04-26-2009 at 01:17 AM.
Old 04-26-2009

Blurb: Pizza, duuude
Send a message via MSN to berober04

another two of the cards: Susan Boyle and Mr T
Old 04-26-2009

Blurb: Failing at fail since 1990

The stinger is of Yami Marik watching "Charlie Bit My Finger - Again!"
Old 04-26-2009

Blurb: I got face to personaly mess with me

oh and the youtube description is taken from the Hindenburg going up in flames.
Old 04-26-2009

Blurb: Guh? Muh? Wuh? Zuh?!
Send a message via MSN to Seraphim

Episode 39's title is a reference to the Twilight Zone episode called "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet".
Old 04-27-2009

Episode 39 - Hans Gruber is a German villain in the Die Hard movie. I think that's what it was referencing
Old 04-27-2009

Another of the cards that pass by Yami Yugi at the beginning was Salacious B. Crumb, a Kowakian Monkey-Lizard from Star Wars.

Oh, and when Yami Bakura is eating the steak, he sounds just like the Cookie Monster of Sesame Street. I don't know if that was intended or not.

Last edited by Seraphim; 04-27-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-28-2009

Send a message via AIM to PokemonLuver0226

In 39 incase anyone watches only the dubs (Which is Stupid) The Bakura eating the Meatloaf is only in the japanese version but yet LK still put it in.
Old 04-28-2009

Blurb: Tsuki ni kawatte, oshioki yo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
Oh, and when Yami Bakura is eating the steak, he sounds just like the Cookie Monster of Sesame Street. I don't know if that was intended or not.
"Om nom nom" is Internet onomapoetia for the Cookie Monster eating sound, but has become more a generic sound for eating. I'm not sure if it's ever been described as that in anything official.
Old 04-29-2009

Supprised no one mentioned this, or I'm just a really huge nerd lol.

But in Episode 39, The music at 3:50 is the Airship music in Super Mario Bros. 3, and the line from the two obvious german joke dude at 4:08 "Everbody on board zee Kiaba Corp Doomship" is a reference to the Super Mario Bros. 3 game/show, where they airship was called King Koopa's Doomship.
Old 04-29-2009

...The Gummi Bears TV show was referenced as well. Never thought I would see that happen. lol
Old 04-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhortac View Post
Supprised no one mentioned this, or I'm just a really huge nerd lol.

But in Episode 39, The music at 3:50 is the Airship music in Super Mario Bros. 3, and the line from the two obvious german joke dude at 4:08 "Everbody on board zee Kiaba Corp Doomship" is a reference to the Super Mario Bros. 3 game/show, where they airship was called King Koopa's Doomship.
Well, I recognized the music as a reference to one of the Mario games, but I couldn't remember which.

Also, I didn't know there was a Super Mario Bros. 3 show. Are you sure you don't mean The Super Mario Bros. Super Show?
Old 04-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
Well, I recognized the music as a reference to one of the Mario games, but I couldn't remember which.

Also, I didn't know there was a Super Mario Bros. 3 show. Are you sure you don't mean The Super Mario Bros. Super Show?
Yes, it was called Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3. I have the DVD set...>.> lol
Old 05-03-2009

In 35, the "I'm in your TV, kidnapping your grandpa" is a play off of the famous gaming line "im in ur base, killin ur d00ds"
Old 05-04-2009

Send a message via AIM to PokemonLuver0226

When James speaks gibberish, there's another Leo Burnett at the end
Leo Burnett and 4Kids are the Devil Leo Burnett
Old 05-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokemonLuver0226 View Post
When James speaks gibberish, there's another Leo Burnett at the end
Leo Burnett and 4Kids are the Devil Leo Burnett
What episode or side-video are you talking about?
Old 05-05-2009

Talking you forgot something

the whole "i'm here to kick ass" quotes are also duke nukem an awesome video game character from the 90's famous for being too cool
has catchphrase's
"its time to kick ass and chew bubblegum and i'm all outta gum"
"I've got balls of steel"
"i don't have time to play with myself"
are legendary
Old 05-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4xiS View Post
the whole "i'm here to kick ass" quotes are also duke nukem an awesome video game character from the 90's famous for being too cool
has catchphrase's
"its time to kick ass and chew bubblegum and i'm all outta gum"
"I've got balls of steel"
"i don't have time to play with myself"
are legendary
Actually, the phrase was originally from the film "They Live", ad-libbed by Roddy Piper in the scene where his character, Nada, enters a bank.
Old 05-05-2009

Episode 39 "That's the second biggest" whatever, I'm pretty sure first came from the Monkey Island games, where hero Guybrush, looking at a massive Stone Monkey Head, states "That's the second biggest stone Monkey Head idol I've ever seen". Where the humour is in the character commenting on the large size, while stating it's not actually the biggest they've seen.
Old 05-05-2009

I thought of another one:

On Episode 39, 3:31- Possibly A Phoenix Wright reference? Phoenix Wright wags his finger and gives huge warnings, making people sorry what they just did.
Old 05-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANMAN View Post
I thought of another one:

On Episode 39, 3:31- Possibly A Phoenix Wright reference? Phoenix Wright wags his finger and gives huge warnings, making people sorry what they just did.
No, LK was just pointing out that despite the fact that Kaiba, in the actual series, states that breaking of any of the rules will bring disqualification unto the offender, he never actual does that.
Old 05-06-2009

huh. Well... *leaves
Old 05-06-2009

Oh, and "wag my finger at you" is a common phrase (well, so far as I know, only in America).
Old 05-06-2009

Location: in a house on a street on a block in a city in a town in a county in a state in a country

"HAIL KAIBA!!!!!!!"
Old 05-10-2009

Guy hasn't updated this in a month. :| Possible riot?
Old 05-11-2009

Sure.
Old 05-30-2009

Here are some corrections to the list you have, just some little things (some pickier than others) that I noticed when I was reading the list...

Ep 24 (04:04) Eternal Darkness is a videogame for the Gamecube. The player takes control of various characters in different time periods.
-It's important to note with this one that the game is most famous for messing with the players mind, it would do things like reverse the controls without any prior warning or pretend that your memory card had been erased.

Ep 27 (01:37) Joey is singing the tune that plays when you find an item in videogame Zelda : The Ocarina of Time. [[I think the item floats too?]]
-Er, yeah. Not just Ocarina of Time, every Zelda game plays that tune, and Link holds the item above his head (it floats in the 3d games but it's just held up in the old 2D games, at least all the ones I've played).

Ep 29 (05:23) The "lame internet references" that Joey is holding include :
2nd card : Suiseiseki from Rozen Maiden, the doll that keeps saying "DESU! DESU! DESU! DESU! DESU! DESU!".
- Suiseiseki doesn't *actually* repeat it over and over like this. "desu" is a common ending for a sentence in Japanese, Suiseiseki just tends to overuse it to the point it becomes a bit annoying, and it has since become a meme to post a picture of her with the text "DESU" repeating.

Ep 31 (00:00) "And Now for Something Completely Different" was a spin-off of the popular series "Monty Python's Flying Circus". The title was the catchwphrase of the show.
- Yes, technically, but the name of the spin-off comes from "Monty Python's Flying Circus" itself. The line was used often as a transition between sketches (Wikipedia gives the example "And now for something completely different: a man with a tape recorder up his nose".) many of the episodes used this line to transition into the opening credits, as well.
(02:42) Millhouse is a geek from The Simpsons.
- Also, Millhouse is [not] a meme. Or, so to say, Millhouse is a meme where one person declares that Millhouse is/is not in fact a meme, argument follows.
(04:54) "Caramelldansen" is a Swedish song by the band Caramell and anime characters dancing to it is an internet meme. The song used in it is actually a sped-up version of the tune (known as the "Speedycakes Remix") and the characters used are Mai and Mii of the anime series "Popotan".
-Popotan is an anime, but it's first and foremost a visual novel (read: hentai game). It should also be commented that the internet meme started as a parody of the opening theme of the game version of Popotan using various characters and set to "Carmelldansen" instead of the original Popotan theme music.
Old 06-11-2009

Episode 39

Quite eays to spot, but to list it anyway ..

The "New Kaiba Corp Logo" that Hans and his brother show is 95% the same as Hitler's Hakenkreuz Flag (instead of a Hakenkreuz we have the KC there)

C-A
Old 06-11-2009

Episode 39 - EA Sports, It's in the Cards.
Is a reference to EA sports.