This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series > Yu-Gi-Oh: Abridged Series Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2012

Blurb: Vince/Stuart = OTP!

I was too scared to see the profile. At least it's good to know some people don't seriously write like that.

I've just been browsing for some good YGO fanfiction, and it is getting very difficult. Although I did read a fantastic Bronzeshipping fic literally just a few minutes ago. I know Bronzeshipping is generally seen to be rubbish, but this one was in character.

So, as you can probably imagine, it's a little horrifying.

Here's the link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4480938/..._Bit_of_Danger
Old 03-28-2012

I feel a little hypocritical, since I constantly complain about people writing OOC YGO fanfics, and recently I did just that. Luckily, the second chapter is a little better- I'm trying to write humour, which is tricky for me, but I'm also making sure YMarik and YBakura stay as psychopaths.

It's actually quite entertaining, writing the two in character. I can't understand why so many people choose to turn them into spineless morons. It seems a little degrading.

I really want to write a fanfic keeping Bakura in character as much as I can- so a bloodthirsty maniac who loves and cares for noone. I'm just worried about how many flames I'll get from people who think I'm just following the cliche plot line of "OC gets a Millennium Item and falls in love with one of the yamis, blah, blah, blah...".

Technically, that's what I'm doing. Except at the end

Bakura reveals he was just using her to get his physical form back and he never really loved her- and then he kills her.

I just wish I wasn't so rubbish as keeping people in character. And sorry for the very long post.
Old 03-28-2012

Blurb: Rain, rain go away, thats what all my haters say.

I would love to be able to write a fic where the setting is in Egypt. But ugh, it requires a lot of knowledge of Egypt to do that, and properness, and family history and... yeah. I'm already pretty lazy when it comes to studying/research, but some of these Egyptian based Yugioh fics are lovely!

And Emelinee, don't worry about what others think. Thats the first rule of fanfiction. If you worry about others opinions, you will never get anything done. Personally, I like the concept of the story you have going right now.

Last edited by Reese; 03-28-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-29-2012

Blurb: Don't fake the funk on an elephant's trunk.

I second the "don't worry about other people's opinions" sentiment. That could keep a person from writing what could be a perfectly fine fanfiction.

I like the twist ending you've got in mind.
Old 03-31-2012

Blurb: One does not silly walk into Mordor!

XD
Great I found a really nice unfinished fic and after reading it I was a bit mad about me that I haven't finished it yet, because it sounded good and I wanted to know how the story continues.

PS: I decided to post that nonsense in the fanfic thread, because it's not about headcanon anymore.
Old 03-31-2012

What was it? :D
Old 03-31-2012

Younger Seto and Gozaburo and very angsty and philosophic. But it was 'nice' to read and since there aren't so many fanfics about them I'm happy to read something decent. See how desperated I am? I read my own unfinished stuff!
Old 03-31-2012

Sounds interesting! I love reading about young Seto.
Old 03-31-2012

A lot of people like to read about him, but only a hand of people writes something about it. :(
Old 03-31-2012

Blurb: Binky Boy

young Seto Kaiba is cute
Old 04-01-2012

Blurb: THAT'S WHAT THEY SAID!

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7979324/...rds_the_Future Some Trustshipping drabble I wrote earlier. (After cannon) Slight ooc..
Old 04-05-2012

^It's interesting to see post-canon stories.

I've been working on this for a few months:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6474469/..._Everyone_Dies

I'm currently editing the twelfth and final chapter.
Old 04-05-2012

How do you guys feel about songfics? Personally, I don't care for them. The lyrics just feel like they're replacing the story or the author is just using them as a distraction. However, I don't mind fics inspired by a song. Thats something different and actually requires skill for you to be able to incorporate a plot or idea based on the actual song itself and not the lyrics. And depending on what/how you write, it could be a parody as well. Well, thats just my view I guess.
Old 04-05-2012

Blurb: Friendship is MAGIC.

I've written a few song fics. I try to put as much story in as possible because if the lyrics are all clumped together with little 'original' content, I tend to skim/skip the lyrics.
Old 04-05-2012

I've written a oneshot inspired by a song. I didn't use lyrics, and instead incorporated just a few of them into the dialogue, making it a story of sorts. It was pretty fun! ^^
Old 04-05-2012

Blurb: Friendship is MAGIC.

I think it also matters how well the lyrics fit in the story. They can be used to progress the story or say how a character is thinking/hint at a certain thing happening that isn't explicitly mentioned. Admittedly, I've rarely seen a story incorporate lyrics well. I tend to avoid them unless I've read the author's other stuff and can trust them to do it well.
Old 04-05-2012

Yeah, thats another way to write a song fic. I usually just skip over songfics in general. There was a Puzzleshipping one I read and liked a little bit, though if I'm not familiar with the song, I just end up reading the dialogue.
Old 04-05-2012

I don't really care much for songfics. I'd much rather see the author try their hand at writing parodies of songs. I do think it's perfectly fine if they say before the story, "I was inspired by this song, it might help if you listen to it while reading this."

But I agree that there should probably be more overall story than lyrics.
Old 04-05-2012

Send a message via MSN to redconvoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleiphant View Post
I don't really care much for songfics. I'd much rather see the author try their hand at writing parodies of songs. I do think it's perfectly fine if they say before the story, "I was inspired by this song, it might help if you listen to it while reading this."

But I agree that there should probably be more overall story than lyrics.
I've done that and my story got banned. I was doing a parody and sort of picking on songfics in general. I had two characters in the midst of you-know-what doing it to Salt-n-Peppa's Push it. They wondered where the song was coming from.
Old 04-05-2012

I don't understand how a parody could get banned, though. If the author wrote all the lyrics, which is part of the definition of a parody song (and that would mean there were no copyrighted lyrics used), how could it be a copyright violation?

If you can't use lyrics you yourself wrote, what can you use?

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the definition of songfics. I thought it meant "a story using copyrighted lyrics." If the lyrics are parodies written by the author, it's not a songfic and it shouldn't get banned.

Last edited by Kaleiphant; 04-05-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-05-2012

Quote:
I don't understand how a parody could get banned, though. If the author wrote all the lyrics, which is part of the definition of a parody song (and that would mean there were no copyrighted lyrics used), how could it be a copyright violation?

If you can't use lyrics you yourself wrote, what can you use?

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the definition of songfics. I thought it meant "a story using copyrighted lyrics." If the lyrics are parodies written by the author, it's not a songfic and it shouldn't get banned.
Because I used the lyrics and it's against their policy. I forgot about that at the time.
Old 04-05-2012

Okay, then I misunderstood. I thought you'd written your own lyrics to the tune of the song.
Old 04-06-2012

Quote:
Okay, then I misunderstood. I thought you'd written your own lyrics to the tune of the song.
If I knew that at the time, I would have. Heh.
Old 04-06-2012

I hate those days where you can't find any decent YGO fanfiction. Or any new fanfiction, at least. The best I got today was a Tendershipping fic last updated in 2008- which is a shame, because it's fantastic. I would complain about authors who take forever to update, but that would be hypocritical, since I myself take forever to update.

Also, slightly related- it's a fanfic- I just read a pretty great fanfic about... Novak Djokociv and Roger Federer. One paragraph in, and it became my OTP. I'm still shocked that the pairing even exists.
Old 04-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emelinee View Post
I hate those days where you can't find any decent YGO fanfiction. Or any new fanfiction, at least. The best I got today was a Tendershipping fic last updated in 2008- which is a shame, because it's fantastic. I would complain about authors who take forever to update, but that would be hypocritical, since I myself take forever to update.

Also, slightly related- it's a fanfic- I just read a pretty great fanfic about... Novak Djokociv and Roger Federer. One paragraph in, and it became my OTP. I'm still shocked that the pairing even exists.
read this:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2764833/1/Opal

This fic is pretty good. I told this person that she needed to write this as an original novel with original characters because I had a strong feeling about it. PS. Avatar came out.
Old 04-07-2012

I was looking around for Moulin Rouge-Yu-Gi-Oh crossovers or adaptations because I wanted to see if anyone else wrote weird things like that. I also wanted to see how they handled it, like how they made the plot relevant to the Yu-Gi-Oh world, and what roles they put the characters in (and if they wrote them in a way that they'd make sense in those roles).

I found a story with Atem/Yami as Christian and Bakura as Satine. Unfortunately, it looked like just the script of the movie with the names changed and description around the dialogue. I was kind of let down because it sounded like an interesting concept, but oh well.

Back to searching.
Old 04-07-2012

Blurb: Cast in the Name of God; Ye Not Guilty
Send a message via AIM to Jacks Send a message via MSN to Jacks

I think the crossover button on fanfiction.net is one of the most amazing and yet terrifying things I've come across in a while.

On the one hand, delicious Synchroshipping. On the other... Harry Potter? Really?

Admittedly I've sorted through so many pairings at this point that I forget which ones I have read and haven't.
Old 04-09-2012

Blurb: Cast in the Name of God; Ye Not Guilty
Send a message via AIM to Jacks Send a message via MSN to Jacks

Okay so I'm pimping my own awful fanfiction here, but yeah.

I suck, so if you feel the need to tell me so I PROMISE. I KNOW. I'm trying to improve, though.

It's all drabbles, and so far all rivalshipping, but I generally am going to be posting one a day.

http://jacksdrabbles.tumblr.com/

ALSO: Sorry for the double post.

Last edited by Jacks; 04-09-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-11-2012

Blurb: Binky Boy

one time I found a Yami No Matsuei/Yugioh crossover story that had Kaiba.
Old 04-14-2012

You know what, I don't see a lot of teacher/student fics. Plenty of highschool AU, but no teacher & student romance fics. Or maybe I'm lucky enough not to see any, because the few I have read were poorly written. I attempted to write one myself, but trashed the idea. Anyone have opinions on teacher/student fics?